Outpatient Requests Guideline for Ordering Laborary Tests
Guidelines for Ordering Laboratory Tests
- Complete ALL patient demographic information (name. MRN#, DOB).
- Include ordering provider (name & provider #).
- Order test(s) desired by checking box to the right of the test.
- Check the box for ALL applicable ICD-9 code(s) (diagnosis) for the test(s) ordered (there is NO limit to the # of diagnoses for Laboratory tests).
- Use diagnosis that describes why you ordered a test NOT why you are seeing the patient.
- E.g. The reason a Reticulocyte is ordered is for anemia (established diagnosis, symptoms or signs) NOT the leukemia the patient is being treated.
- Do NOT use "Rule Out" Diagnosis, Use signs/symptoms
- Use signs &/or symptoms that cause to want to "Rule out" a disorder or disease.
- E.g. A patient exhibits polyuria, sweating & polyphagia. Diabetes is to be ruled out. These symptoms/signs justify ordering a Glucose.
- Be sure to document the test orders in Patient Records not just on the Requisition.
- MEDICARE COVERED SCREENING TESTS (Be sure to order correct screening Test)
- PSA (1/year)
- FOB (1/year)
- PAP SMEAR (1/ every 2 years)